MCAT Chemistry Question — Oxidation
- Mar 07, 2017
- MCAT Question of the Day
What is the oxidation state of chromium in the dichromate ion, Cr2O72-?
Click for Explanation
The rules for oxidation states are as follows:
- In a compound, oxidation states of all elements sum to the net charge on the ion or neutral compound. Free elements have an oxidation number of 0.
- The more electronegative element has a negative oxidation state, fluorine and oxygen being the most and second most electronegative.
- Group IA elements are +1, Group IIA elements are +2, Group VIIA elements are usually -1 unless bonded to a more electronegative element, oxygen usually -2, hydrogen usually +1, fluorine always -1, chlorine usually -1.
In this case, the oxidation states of all elements sums to -2. 7 oxygens have an oxidation state of -2, summing to -14. The 2 chromiums must sum to +12, giving an oxidation state of +6 for each chromium.
- -2, incorrect, This is the overall oxidation state.
- 0, incorrect, This answer indicates that 7 oxygens have a total oxidation state of -2.
- +6, correct.
- +12, incorrect, This answer neglects the fact that there are 2 chromiums, therefore the +12 must be divided by 2.
Want more MCAT practice?
We’ve got options for every schedule and learning style!
From the best online MCAT course created by top instructors with 524+ MCAT scores to the most representative full-length practice exams and private tutoring, we can custom tailor your MCAT prep to your goals!
Not sure which option is right for you? Schedule a free MCAT consultation with an MCAT expert using the form below. No obligation, just expert advice.
Search the Blog
Interested in our Online MCAT Course, One-on-One MCAT Tutoring or Med admissions packages? Set up a free consultation with one of our experienced Senior Student Advisors.Schedule Now
MCAT Blog What's on the MCAT?
MCAT Blog How to Review MCAT Full Lengths
Free MCAT Practice AccountNeed great MCAT practice?
Get the most representative MCAT practice possible when you sign up for our free MCAT Account, which includes a half-length diagnostic exam and one of our full-length MCAT practice exams.Learn More