MCAT Biology Question — Cellulose
- May 01, 2018
- MCAT Question of the Day
Although linked at the same carbons as starch and glycogen, cellulose is indigestible to humans. This is a result of the:
- alpha-linkage from carbons 2 to 6 of D-glucose.
- beta-linkage at carbons 2 to 6 of D-glucose.
- alpha-linkage at carbons 1 to 4 of D-glucose.
- beta-linkage at carbons 1 to 4 of D-glucose.
Click for Explanation
In humans, glycogen is broken down by debranching enzyme (alpha 1,6 linkages) and phosphorylases (alpha 1,4 linkages). Starch is broken down at alpha 1,4 linkages by alpha-amylase found in saliva and pancreatic secretions. Cellulose cannot be broken down by humans because it is beta-linked at carbons 1 to 4. For the MCAT: Alpha-1,4 linked glucose indicates digestible glycogen and starch, and beta-1,4 linkage indicates indigestible cellulose.
- alpha-linkage from carbons 2 to 6 of D-glucose, incorrect.
- beta-linkage at carbons 2 to 6 of D-glucose, incorrect.
- alpha-linkage at carbons 1 to 4 of D-glucose, incorrect.
- beta-linkage at carbons 1 to 4 of D-glucose, correct.
Want more MCAT practice?
We’ve got options for every schedule and learning style!
From the best online MCAT course created by top instructors with 524+ MCAT scores to the most representative full-length practice exams and private tutoring, we can custom tailor your MCAT prep to your goals!
Not sure which option is right for you? Schedule a free MCAT consultation with an MCAT expert using the form below. No obligation, just expert advice.
Search the Blog
Interested in our Online MCAT Course, One-on-One MCAT Tutoring or Med admissions packages? Set up a free consultation with one of our experienced Senior Student Advisors.Schedule Now
MCAT Blog What's on the MCAT?
MCAT Blog How to Review MCAT Full Lengths
Free MCAT Practice AccountNeed great MCAT practice?
Get the most representative MCAT practice possible when you sign up for our free MCAT Account, which includes a half-length diagnostic exam and one of our full-length MCAT practice exams.Learn More