Save Santa in This Very Merry LSAT Logic Game
- Dec 24, 2014
- LSAT, Sample Logic Games
At the risk of sounding like the terrible e-card I just got from Time Warner, happy holidays from all of us here at Blueprint!
I have no idea whether you’ve been naughty or nice, but as you’ll soon learn in law school, those kind of subjective judgments are all in the eye of the beholder. So here’s a very Christmas-y LSAT Logic game either way.
This Christmas, due to the lingering effects of the recession, along with increased competition from online retailers and digital downloads, Santa Claus has been forced to cut costs to remain competitive. He has outsourced gift production to India (largely due to the high demands of the Elves Union), and has downsized his reindeer squad to 7: Blitzen, Cupid, Dasher, Komet, Prancer, Vixen, and, of course, Rudolph. With only 7 reindeer pulling his sleigh, however, ensuring the optimal order of the reindeer is essential for flight. Help Santa save Christmas by figuring out the best reindeer order for his sleigh with the following restrictions:
- Each reindeer must be assigned a position pulling the sleigh, and each reindeer can only be assigned one position, 1 through 7
- Rudolph must be fourth, or he must be somewhere in between Dasher and Prancer, but not both
- Prancer must be before Cupid
- Either Vixen or Blitzen must be 3rd
- If Vixen is before Rudolph, then Prancer must be before Dasher, otherwise, Komet must be before Vixen
- Cupid may not be immediately before Komet, or immediately after Dasher
1. If Dasher is first, then which one of the following must be true?
a. Rudolph is 4th
b. Komet is 5th
c. Rudolph is 2nd
d. Blitzen is 3rd
e. Cupid is 6th
2. If Rudolph is 5th, then which one of the following could be true?
a. Cupid is 7th
b. Vixen is 2nd and Prancer is 4th
c. Prancer is 2nd and Blitzen is 4th
d. Dasher is 1st
e. Dasher is 7th
3. If Rudolph is 4th and Blitzen is 5th, then for how many of the reindeer can their exact spot be determined?
4. If Komet is 7th, then how many different reindeer can be 6th?
5. If Prancer is 5th, then how many spots can Dasher be assigned to?
6. If Dasher is 4th, then Komet must be assigned to which position?
Bonus: Assigning which reindeer to which spot will determine the exact spot of Dasher? (and no, you may not just assign Dasher)
Answers: 1: d; 2: e; 3: e; 4: b; 5: d; 6: d; Bonus: Rudolph, 6th spot
A version of this post was originally published on December 14, 2011. Game by Nick Rey.
Search the Blog
Free LSAT Practice Account
Sign up for a free Blueprint LSAT account and get access to a free trial of the Self-Paced Course and a free practice LSAT with a detailed score report, mind-blowing analytics, and explanatory videos.Learn More
General LSAT Advice How to Get a 180 on the LSAT
Entertainment Revisiting Elle's LSAT Journey from Legally Blonde